Wednesday, February 27, 2013

More mirror work madness

A choli is a blouse that one wears with a traditional Indian skirt; the gaghra and this particular choli has been worn year after year for Navaratri, a nine-day festival celebrating a demon killing avatar, Goddess Durga. Now my love for ass kicking Goddesses is well known as is my obsession with mirror work, I mean just look at the banner for this blog but I have recently decided that I am going to make mirror work tops and bottoms a part of my every day attire. I already wear loads of it in small doses, like a patch here a handbag there but now I am going to up the ante.

Its just that I am just so bored looking at the usual blue jeans/ white tee-shirt combination that I have decided to brave any funny looks that might come my way. You know the best part? We just went to get a cup of chocolate milk wearing this and no one, not one person gave me any funny looks, it was awesome. Just goes to show that there is nothing wrong in wearing what one feels like, most people are too busy to pay any negative attention. By the way, I don't have anything against the blue jeans/ white tee-shirt combination, I just don't like wearing too much of it but if that's someone else's thing, I am sure they rock it.

The little red kantha pouch that I am wearing is from Aarong, a fair trade organisation that sources its goods from impoverished local artisans in Bangladesh. Reaching out to weavers, potters, brass workers, jewellers, jute workers, basket weavers, wood carvers, leather workers and more, Aarong represents about 65,000 artisans, 85% of whom are women. I have over the years bought a lot of stuff from them and if you're interested you should definitely check them out. I am only speaking from my personal experience because I love to support businesses that benefit women especially from disadvantaged backgrounds. I have not been asked to write this nor have I been paid for it. Hope everyone's having a great week so far and looking forward to the weekend, its the Sydney GLBTQ Mardi Gras and I can't wait for the parade on Saturday. Rainbow sparkles, sequinned hot pants and wigs, here I come.













Mirror work choli: Gujarat, India, Shorts: Vintage Levi's 501s, Wedges: Wittner, Kantha pouch: Aarong


6 comments:

Vix said...

I love mirror work and adore your outfit. You must wear it every day in some incarnation. I'm tempted to buy some mirrored trimming from the market and add an Asian vibe to my maxis for summer.
I think the only time we feel people are looking at us is when we're insecure with your appearance and are looking for approval. The only looks you'd get from people would be those admiring your kick ass style.
Great charity, thanks for the heads up, I'm off to find out more! xxxx

Helga said...

Gawd YES, mirror work EVERYDAY!
You are a kick ass minx yourself, no wonder you're drawn to Durga.
Mardi Gras! I used to LOVE going to that! OMG, the costumes! The outrageous FABULOUSNESS! It'll be a grand time! Do take some pix! What are you going to wear?!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jenna Opsahl said...

Oh my god it's literally perfect. WIth the beanie and the shorts, SO GREAT. And yay for supporting businesses that benefit women of disadvantaged backgrounds. =]
Great all around.

soulcurry said...

lovely top and love ur black sandals as well

-urvi

soulcurry said...

lovely top and love ur black sandals as well

-urvi

eurostarbd said...

https://fastebay.com
https://fastebay.com